1. You can dry out your skin to cure acne. Nope. That will actually encourage and foster breakouts and inhibit skin's ability to combat acne. Absorbing excess oil is much different than drying out skin with acrid ingredients.
2. Dirty skin=ACNE . This blunder can lead to over-scrubbing or over-cleansing skin with harsh and abrasive soaps and exfoliants, which will only aggravate skin and lead to an increase in oil production.
3. Spot treatments are better than full face treatments. Possibly for those who rarely break out, but treating the whole face will help tackle breakouts that are not visible yet. Salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide will reduce swelling and redness of existing spots, but be mindful to treat the whole shebang.
4. If it stings it must be working ! Not usually. Research shows that useless ingredients don't work, but actually makes skin aggravated and acne worse.
5. Pass on the See's candy and French Fries.....it will give you pimples. Research shows that foods rich in chocolate, grease or fat are not catalysts for acne for most people. But foods high in refined sugars (often chocolate rich foods) may spike one's insulin, which is linked to acne. Try passing on the See's for a few weeks and see if it helps.
6. Scrub-a-dub those blackheads away. Sorry, as stated earlier gentler is better. A clean white wash cloth and a cleanser that targets acne will do !
Cheers, Miss Violet